New York City Work Related Brain Injury
A work related brain injury can be one of the worst things to happen to a person. Brain injuries are unpredictable, so it can be impossible to know what the long-term effects will be. However, the results are often life-changing, expensive, and often permanent.
Between the workers compensation insurer, your employer, and any involved third party, it can also be difficult to know who is responsible for paying for your expenses and damages.
Contact our law firm to discuss your New York City work related brain injury. We can work with you to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve through either workers compensation benefits or by filing a civil lawsuit.
Signs of a Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a serious condition that can lead to long-term negative health effects. If you believe that you have a TBI, it is critical that you receive a thorough medical examination and be properly diagnosed.
There are a number of symptoms that could indicate a TBI:
- Blurred vision
- Inability to concentrate
- Changes in behavior and attitude
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Loss of cognitive reasoning skills
TBI and Workers Compensation
Your employer should pay for your medical care as part of your workers compensation claim. They are obligated to pay for medical bills until you have reached your maximum level of recovery.
If either your workers compensation claim is denied or the insurer refuses to pay for a necessary treatment or procedure, you will need to dispute their decision. Doing this successfully will require a New York City work related brain injury lawyer to represent you.
Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury
TBI can seriously impact your overall health even if it does not manifest physically. Some people who suffer a New York City work related brain injury do not seek financial compensation because there are no obvious physical signs.
However, not being able to think or speak clearly—even though you look perfectly healthy—is still an injury and one that deserves financial compensation.
Compensation After a Work Related Brain Injury
You may seek financial compensation for any expenses or damages related to your New York City work related brain injury:
- Lost Wages – You will receive a portion of your lost wages according to New York workers compensation laws and the level of disability assigned to you.
- Medical Expense Reimbursement – The medical bills you have incurred to date should be paid for, along with future medical bills.
- Pain and Suffering – You will not be entitled to pain and suffering under traditional workers compensation laws; however, you can file a lawsuit against your employer or a responsible third party for additional compensation.
- Financial Losses – If you have suffered financial loss due to hiring someone to watch your children, provide transportation, or something similar, you can file a civil suit for compensation.
Speak with a New York City Lawyer
A New York City work related brain injury can negatively affect the quality of the rest of your life. Speak with an attorney at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (1-800-842-8462).
We can help you determine your best course of action and bring your case to a successful conclusion.