$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
Don’t let your personal injury keep you down. Work with a Brooklyn injury lawyer as you seek compensation.
When you’re injured in a Brooklyn accident that wasn’t all your fault, you shouldn’t bear the financial burden. You need a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer who will fight for your right to compensation.
Our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will do all we can to get you the compensation you need.
Brooklyn Personal Injury Cases
Personal injuries come in many forms. Each type carries its own set of hardships and rules that only a lawyer with the proper experience can truly process. To build you the a strong personal injury case, we have to look at every angle of the accident, from the scene to the people involved.
Here are some common personal injury cases in Brooklyn:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Crashes can be caused by drunk, drugged, drowsy, or distracted drivers, faulty parts, improper equipment, poor inspections, and road hazards. Truck accidents and motorcycle collisions also fall into this group.
- Product Liability – A product liability case usually involves design, manufacture, and marketing defects, such as a teapot that scalds when handled properly, a chainsaw with a flailing chain, or a medication with poor usage information or harmful ingredients.
- Premises Liability – This group covers slips or trips and falls, crumbling steps, dog bites, and other hazards on other people’s property.
- Construction and Workplace Accidents – Accidents at work are often covered under workers comp insurance. But if someone other than your employer was involved in your injuries, you might have grounds to file a personal injury claim for full compensation.
- Medical Malpractice – This is a beast all its own. It may include drunk on-call doctors, late or incorrect diagnoses, sponges or clamps left inside of a patient after surgery, bedsores or other negligent treatment, wrong drugs, and many other cases.
Personal Injury Types
Each type of personal injury case can involve different injuries. To make a claim for your damages, we need to know exactly what damages your accident caused.
We will dig up evidence for your personal injury claim. And we’ll work with your doctors and other health experts to decide what to include and how to describe it in a way that will be held up in settlement negotiations or Brooklyn court.
After an accident in Brooklyn, you may experience:
- Head and facial damage causing traumatic brain injury, loss of sight or hearing, or disfigurement that warrants reconstructive surgeries.
- Neck, back, and spine injuries that cause whiplash, back pain, spinal cord damage that can lead to paralysis, and nerve damage resulting in chronic pain, numbness, tingling, and reduced mobility.
- Internal injuries to organs that require transplants and cause massive internal bleeding, which can be deadly.
- Broken bones leading to a lifetime of limping, other mobility issues, and even amputations.
- Severe, large-area burns from chemicals, scalding liquids, or fire that are painful for long periods of time and often require surgeries and skin grafts.
- Poisoning causing loss of sight, hearing, taste, and smell and requiring long-term medical care and medication use.
- Drowning, which can cause death or brain damage.
- PTSD, which carries with it many social and emotional ailments.
Personal Injury Compensation You Could Win
Working with your doctors and other health experts, we will show the full impact of your personal injuries.
We need to assign a dollar amount to each damage. That includes the non-economic damages you suffer. These may include emotional trauma and strained family ties.
We’ll claim any costs and hardships you have endured because of your personal injury in Brooklyn:
- All medical expenses
- Current and future income loss
- Updates to your home, car, and workplace for disabilities
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury in Brooklyn
The statute of limitations for personal injuries in New York is generally three years. But medical malpractice is two years and six months from the date of the incident or from the end of treatment.
Under the limited discovery rule, which applies to objects left inside of you during surgery, you have one year from the date of discovering the object.
Not all hope is lost after the deadline. But it is best to begin the process with a Brooklyn injury lawyer ASAP.
Comparative Negligence and Your Personal Injury Claim
Insurers, including yours, want only to save money. That’s what they care about even at the expense of your health. They will twist your words against you to make you carry as much blame as possible.
This is due to New York’s comparative negligence law. This rule allows you to file a claim if you’re partly at fault for your accident. But your compensation will be reduced by the same percentage of fault you bear. Say you win $100,000 but are deemed 10 percent at fault. You will only receive $90,000.
This goes for the other people involved in the accident. That means these rules could end up costing you more than they earn you. This can have a huge effect on the outcome of your Brooklyn personal injury claim. That’s why it’s important to work with a top lawyer.
No-Fault Rule for Car Accidents in Brooklyn
Under New York’s no-fault law, you have to first file your claim with your own insurer. That’s true no matter of who caused the accident. This system is often convenient. But it imposes some low compensation limits on Brooklyn accident victims.
There is some good news. The law does allow for personal injury claims under certain car crash circumstances. You can file a personal injury suit against the other driver if you meet the “serious injury” threshold, which is fairly specific.
Here are some severe injuries that could qualify for personal injury compensation in Brooklyn outside the no-fault system:
- Significant disfigurement
- A fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Loss of the use of a body organ, member, function, or system
- Limitation of the use of a body organ or member
- Limitation of the use of a body function or system
- A disability lasting at least ninety days in the 180 days after the injury
Meet with a Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney
You don’t deserve to pay for someone else’s mistake. The stress of healing is enough without the added financial burdens. Your lawyer will work to make sure the at-fault parties face justice and pay you fairly.
Work with our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We’ll do all we can to get you and your family the compensation you need.
Call us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) to get in touch. You may also fill out online contact form below to schedule a free consultation with a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer.