$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
Don’t let your personal injury keep you down. Work with a Brooklyn injury lawyer as you pursue the compensation you need.
When you’re injured in a Brooklyn accident that wasn’t completely your fault, you shouldn’t bear the financial responsibility afterward. You need a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer who will fight for your right to compensation for all of your damages.
Our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will do everything we can to get you the compensation you need to heal without worrying about medical bills and lost wages.
Brooklyn Personal Injury Case Examples
Personal injuries come in many forms, and each type carries its own set of challenges and rules that only a professional with the proper resources can effectively negotiate. To build you the strongest personal injury case possible, we have to investigate every angle of the accident, from the scene to the people involved.
Common personal injury cases in Brooklyn involve these five types of accidents:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Crashes can be caused by drunk, drugged, drowsy, or distracted drivers, faulty parts, improper equipment installation, poor inspections, and road hazards. Truck accidents and motorcycle collisions are also included in this category.
- Product Liability – A product liability case usually involves design, manufacture, and marketing defects, such as a teapot that scalds when handled properly, a chainsaw with a flailing chain, or a medication with inadequate usage information or dangerous ingredients.
- Premises Liability – This category covers slips or trips and falls, crumbling steps, dog bites, and other hazards on commercial or residential properties.
- Construction and Workplace Accidents – Accidents at work are usually covered under workers compensation insurance, but if someone other than your employer was involved in your injuries, you might have grounds to file a personal injury claim for full compensation.
- Medical Malpractice – This is a beast all its own that may include intoxicated on-call doctors, late or incorrect diagnoses, sponges or clamps left inside of a patient after surgery, bedsores or other negligent treatment, incorrect medications, and many other incidents.
Personal Injury Types
Each type of personal injury case and cause can involve different varieties of injuries. To make a claim for your damages, we need to know exactly what damages the accident caused.
Our investigation will dig up evidence for your personal injury claim, and we’ll work with your doctors and other medical experts to determine what to include and how to describe it in a way that will be held up in settlement negotiations or Brooklyn court.
You may experience the following after an accident in Brooklyn:
- Head and facial damage causing traumatic brain injury, loss of sight or hearing, or disfigurement that necessitates reconstructive surgeries
- Neck, back, and spine injuries that cause whiplash, permanent back pain, spinal cord damage that can lead to paralysis, and nerve damage resulting in chronic pain, numbness, tingling, and diminished mobility
- Internal injuries to organs that require transplant operations and cause massive internal bleeding, which can be quite deadly if not caught immediately
- Broken bones leading to a lifetime of limping, other mobility issues, and even amputations
- Severe, large-area burns from chemicals, scalding liquids, or fire that are extremely painful for long periods of time and often require extensive reconstructive surgeries and skin grafts to correct severe disfigurement
- Poisoning causing loss of sight, hearing, taste, and smell and requiring long-term medical care and medication use
- Drowning, which can cause death or brain damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which carries with it many social and emotional ailments
Personal Injury Compensation You Could Win
Working with your doctors and other medical experts, we will determine the severity and recovery time of your personal injuries and the associated conditions they cause.
We need to assign a dollar amount to everything, including the non-economic damages you suffer, although it isn’t always easy to quantify some of these things.
We’ll claim any relevant costs and hardships you have endured because of your personal injury in Brooklyn, including the following:
- Immediate and long-term medical expenses
- Current and projected income loss
- Accommodations to your home, car, and workplace for new or exacerbated disabilities
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury in Brooklyn
The statute of limitations for personal injuries in New York is generally three years, but medical malpractice is two years and six months from the date of the incident or from the end of “continuous treatment for the same illness, injury or condition.”
However, under the limited discovery rule, which applies to objects left inside of you during surgery, “the action may be commenced within one year of the date of such discovery or of the date of discovery of facts which would reasonably lead to such discovery,” according to the state of New York.
There can be other variables, so not all hope is lost after the deadline. But it is most often best to begin the process with a Brooklyn injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Comparative Negligence and Your Personal Injury Claim
Insurance companies, including yours, want only to save money, even at the expense of your health and your family’s wellbeing. They will twist your words against you to make you carry as much blame as possible.
This is due to New York’s comparative negligence law. This rule allows you to file a claim if you’re partially at fault for your accident, but your compensation will be reduced by the same percentage of fault you bear. If you win $100,000 but are deemed 10 percent at fault, you will only receive $90,000.
This goes for the other people involved in the accident, and depending on whose damages are greater, these rules could end up costing you more than they earn you. This can make a huge difference in the outcome of your Brooklyn personal injury claim, so it’s important to work with a qualified lawyer.
No-Fault Rule for Car Accidents in Brooklyn
Under New York’s no-fault law, you have to first file your claim with your own insurance company, regardless of who caused the accident. This system is often convenient, but it imposes some relatively low compensation limits on Brooklyn accident victims.
Fortunately, the law does allow for personal injury claims under certain car crash circumstances. You can file a personal injury suit against the other driver if you meet the “serious injury” threshold, which is fairly specific.
Serious injuries that could qualify for personal injury compensation in Brooklyn outside the no-fault system include the following:
- Significant disfigurement
- A fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of the use of a body organ, member, function, or system
- Permanent, consequential limitation of the use of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of the use of a body function or system
- A medically determined disability lasting at least ninety days in the 180 days immediately following the injury
Meet with a Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney
You don’t deserve to have to pay for someone else’s mistake. The stress of healing is enough without the added financial burdens. Your attorney will work to make sure the at-fault parties face justice and compensate you fairly.
Work with our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We’ll do everything in our power to get you and your family the compensation you need to continue living your best life possible.
Call us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out online contact form below to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer.