Can I Change My Accident Lawyer?
The success or failure of your car accident case often depends on your lawyer. A good lawyer can help you reach a quick and fair settlement where another lawyer may fail. This is why it is important to do your homework before you hire an NYC accident lawyer for your case.
You may feel compelled to change your lawyer even after they start working on your case. This can be for many reasons. Here is a look at some situations where you should switch your lawyer for a better case outcome.
When Should You Change Your Lawyer
If you see any of the behaviors listed below, you should seriously think about switching your attorney:
- Your lawyer doesn’t communicate properly. He or she may not respond to your calls or emails. This can leave you in an uncertain position so that you are always wondering about the status of the case.
- The lawyer is not diligently pursuing your case. This may be simply because the lawyer is too busy, or because there is a lack of interest on the lawyer’s part. If you sense such behavior, you should talk to your lawyer about it. If no satisfactory response is forthcoming, don’t delay changing your lawyer.
- You are not accorded due respect and consideration. The law firm and the lawyer representing you should offer due respect and courtesy to you as a client. This is a legal requirement under NY State’s Statement of Client’s Rights. When a law firm fails to uphold this, you should seek an alternative.
- The lawyer is trying to settle on unfavorable terms. It may be that you don’t want to settle a case while your lawyer is pushing for a settlement nonetheless. If a lawyer is trying to force you to accept unfavorable terms, you may want to consult another lawyer.
Factors to Consider
When you intend to change your accident lawyer, you must consider certain factors. These factors will help you decide whether or not changing your lawyer is a viable option. Here is a look at these factors.
- Timing – It is alright if you want to change your accident lawyer early in your case. The more you delay, the harder it is for a new lawyer to take over.
- Legal Fees – Most accident cases involve contingency-based legal fees. So you don’t pay anything upfront but have to pay once, and if, the case settles. When you want to switch your lawyer, you will need to sort out the issue of legal fees.
- Court Case – If your current lawyer has already exhausted the case, a different lawyer may not take over. If all the arguments and defenses have already been used, a new lawyer can do little to help. That being said, you can discuss with a different lawyer to see if they can manage the case if you switch.
Consult a Reliable NYC Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have suffered injuries in an NYC accident, you must get legal help. Here at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, our lawyers help you seek damages in car crash claims. We can also advise you on whether or not you should switch your lawyer if you already have an ongoing accident case.
Call us today at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out our form for a free consultation.