May 24, 2024

Can I Sue if I Was Sexually Abused as a Child?

Dealing with child sexual abuse is traumatic and long-lasting. Worse, you might be afraid that you don’t have the opportunity to take legal action for your claim. Unfortunately, that worry leaves many people to avoid seeking out the compensation they may be due. 

That’s why it’s so important to get answers for questions such as, “Can I sue if I was sexually abused as a child?” The answer is yes, but you may need to act now to seek out compensation and understand your options for a lawsuit.

Your Options for Legal Action

Many people are initially worried about their options for compensation. You may be aware that there’s a time limit, for example. The clock does start ticking following your abuse, and you could lose your compensation if you don’t file a claim. 

That’s why you’ll need to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible. They can tell you how much time you have to file and what your claim is worth. That way, you know what you can seek for your losses. 

You may even be eligible to press criminal charges. Although you won’t receive compensation for a criminal case, and your injury claim may be delayed until the trial is over, criminal charges can punish the abuser for their actions, removing them from situations where they can continue their abuse. The evidence gathered there can also be used by your child sexual abuse lawyer for your lawsuit. 

The Child Victims Act

It’s also important to note that you have more options for a civil lawsuit against your abuser than in previous years. New York’s Child Victims Act, passed in 2019, gives you more options to file a claim against your abusers, as well as more time. 

For example, before this act passed, you’d need to take action before you turned twenty-three. Now, you have until you turn fifty-five to file your claim. You may also have a chance to bring your claim forward even if you or your child is still considered a minor. 

Fortunately, that gives people who previously didn’t have a chance to file the time they need. Because of that, it’s important to speak to a New York lawyer now, even if years have passed since the abuse. 

Seek Compensation with a Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer

If you’re struggling with your child sex abuse case claim, you may be unsure of your options. You may be aware of the change in laws, but what does that mean for your claim? Because every situation is different, it can be tough to get answers without personalized guidance. 

Fortunately, a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help. We know how difficult it can be to file a claim and get the compensation you might be owed. That’s why we offer free consultation. Seek out an appointment to discuss questions such as, “Can I sue if I was sexually abused as a child?”

If you’re considering a civil lawsuit against your abuser, reach out to your attorney for the help you need. Give us a call at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or complete the online form below to get started with a lawyer.

Start live chat with our team?