Manhattan Personal Injury Lawyer
Sometimes, you have to fight for the compensation you’re owed after you’ve been injured. For help in that fight, get in touch with a Manhattan injury lawyer.
Being involved in an accident is frustrating, overwhelming, and intimidating. These types of incidents often lead to mounting medical bills, an inability to work, and compromised quality of life. However, if your accident was brought on by the recklessness or negligence of another party, there are options available to you to ease the burden.
In these types of situations, you have every right to take legal action against the liable party by filing a claim seeking damages for what you’ve been through. However, taking on this task by yourself could make finding success unnecessarily difficult.
Fortunately, our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP is here to help. With the assistance of a Manhattan personal injury lawyer from our firm, you’ll have the tools you need to secure the compensation you deserve.
Examples of Manhattan Personal Injury Cases
Unfortunately, getting hurt is a fact of life. Accidents happen all the time. It can be difficult to tell whether you actually have the grounds to take legal action against the liable party as you seek fair compensation.
The primary difference between the run-of-the-mill accident and a serious Manhattan injury case is negligence or recklessness. To take legal action, you and your Manhattan accident injury lawyer need to be able to prove that another party’s reckless or negligent actions directly impacted you and led to your damages.
Typically, a few common circumstances will warrant a personal injury claim. Some examples of these types of cases include the following:
- Medical Malpractice – Whenever you place yourself in the care of a medical provider, you do so under the assumption he or she will keep you safe. When a healthcare professional fails to uphold this basic standard, he or she can be held liable for whatever injuries may result. Some examples of medical malpractice cases might include a surgeon operating on the wrong body part, a doctor failing to diagnose a life-threatening illness, or a nurse administering the wrong treatment or medication.
- Car Accidents – Car accidents happen all the time, and they are some of the most common reasons for Manhattan personal injury claims. Liable parties may include the other driver, the manufacturer of the vehicle, or a government agency responsible for road safety. Some common causes behind these types of cases include texting and driving, malfunctioning vehicle parts, driving under the influence of alcohol, and poor road conditions.
- Workplace Accidents – Some industries are inherently more dangerous than others. The construction field, for example, can be a risky place to be. However, all employees deserve safety while they are on the job. When this standard of safety is not met, employers or other parties may be responsible for providing compensation for the victim’s damages.
- Premises Liability – Similarly, property owners have the same responsibility to all those who legally set foot on their grounds. This is true for both commercial and residential property owners. Some examples of premises liability cases in Manhattan include dog bites, fires, and slip-and-fall accidents.
- Product Liability – Whenever a manufacturer puts its goods up for sale, it takes on the responsibility of ensuring the products are safe for use or consumption. As a result, if a consumer is harmed while using a product, he or she can sue the manufacturer for damages. These cases commonly involve children’s toys, medications, beauty products, and electronic devices.
Laws You Need to Be Aware Of
Your personal injury lawyer in Manhattan will be responsible for ensuring your claim is filed on time and in accordance with New York state law. To start, this means your claim will need to be filed within three years of the date of your accident. Failing to adhere to this deadline—known as the statute of limitations—could result in your case being thrown out.
Your attorney will also work to ensure that your compensation award isn’t hurt by our state’s comparative negligence law. In New York, if you share any amount of liability for your case, your compensation will be decreased proportionally. Using our legal knowledge and negotiation tactics, we will fight hard to make sure you receive maximum compensation.
Types of Compensation You May Be Eligible to Recover
Of course, as the victim of an accident in Manhattan, your primary concern will be getting well and maintaining your quality of life. To promote your interests, your Manhattan accident injury attorney will need to ensure you’re awarded full compensation. We’ll be able to determine and fight for damages you may not have even known you were eligible for.
Some of the benefits your attorney may choose to seek when filing your claim include the following:
- Comprehensive medical care coverage, including medication costs, hospital bills, ambulance fees, doctor appointments, travel costs for care, rehabilitation programs or equipment, and more
- Compensation for any property damage you sustained, such as damage to your vehicle if you were involved in a car accident
- Compensation for any wages lost while you were in recovery
- Loss of earning capacity
- Wrongful death benefits
- Mental anguish, such as the development of anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Talk to a Manhattan Personal Injury Attorney
If you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault and suffered a serious injury as a result, our team at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP wants you to know you’re not alone. We are here to offer our assistance and provide you with the aggressive representation you need to secure a favorable outcome in your case.
Don’t wait to get in touch with a Manhattan personal injury lawyer about the details of your claim. Give our office a call directly at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) to set up a meeting and begin moving forward with your claim. To request more information on our firm and find out how we can help you, head to the bottom of the page and fill out our online contact form.
Our Manhattan Law Office
Manhattan Personal Injury FAQ
Your Manhattan injury attorney is here to answer any and all questions you have about your case. Below, you’ll find some answers to questions we commonly receive. Give us a call if you have any further questions or concerns. We’ll be happy to help.
What types of injuries qualify for personal injury compensation?
In general, any type of injury that results from someone else’s negligence will qualify for compensation. However, more serious injuries will usually qualify for more compensation. Serious injuries include brain injuries, spine injuries, broken bones, and burns, among many others.
What is the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims?
While the general statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New York is three years from the date of the accident, those who are considering filing a medical malpractice claim in Manhattan will have only two and a half years to do so.
What if I can’t afford a lawyer?
Most personal injury lawyers, including those at our firm, work on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay anything unless and until we win your case. Then, your legal fees can come directly out of the compensation you’re awarded, meaning you don’t have to worry about whether you can afford a lawyer right now.