Mount Vernon Personal Injury Lawyer
You had no control over the negligent party who injured you, but you can take control of your financial future by working with a Mount Vernon injury lawyer.
There’s no downplaying the fact that a serious injury can absolutely devastate your future plans. That’s why injury victims must take into consideration the fact that they are often eligible for compensation for the various harms to which they’ve been subjected.
To receive the compensation you’re entitled to, contact a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP.
Describe Your Case
If you’ve been hurt in an accident of any kind, it’s imperative to identify your injuries and how those injuries were caused.
Common causes of serious injury in Mount Vernon include the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Despite a general downward trend, there has been a significant increase in the number of crashes and crash-related deaths in the United States in recent years. Cars have become continually easier to drive, but that doesn’t diminish the fact that distractions have become much more abundant. In the case of a Mount Vernon motor vehicle accident, being able to prove that the other party was distracted can help you win your case, whether it involves a car, truck, or motorcycle.
- Work or Construction Accidents – Whether you’re a construction worker hurt on the project site or you hold an office job, you may be eligible to receive compensation when injured in an accident. Demonstrating your employer’s negligence will be key to qualifying for compensation outside the workers compensation system.
- Product Liability – Even the most reputable of companies manufacture defective products on occasion, and some of these items may cause harm. Whether it’s a children’s toy, a refrigerator, or anything in between, you may want to consider filing an injury claim in the case of a serious injury.
- Premises Liability – Getting injured on someone else’s property due to the owner’s negligence is grounds for a premises liability suit. Anything from a dog bite to a wobbly staircase could be considered a hazard that warrants legal action.
- Medical Malpractice – Doctors usually have the best of intentions, but even the most esteemed physicians can make costly errors. If you believe a doctor in Mount Vernon subjected you to an unnecessary procedure or caused you physical harm through careless actions, you may want to file a medical malpractice suit.
Understanding New York State Law
Personal injury victims in New York must abide by the state’s statute of limitations for such suits, which is three years. This means you’re required to file a suit within thirty-six months of the date of your accident. Otherwise, you won’t be eligible to receive any compensation.
Victims should also be aware of New York’s use of the standard of pure comparative negligence in personal injury cases. This standard makes it so personal injury victims are eligible to recover at least some damages for their accident, as long as they are not found purely responsible.
Multiple parties can share the blame for an accident under this policy. That means you can be partially responsible and still recover compensation.
In the case of partial liability, you would receive compensation proportional to the level of fault of all other parties. For instance, if you were determined to be 35 percent liable for your accident, you could receive up to 65 percent of damages from one or a combination of other at-fault parties.
Contact a Mount Vernon Personal Injury Attorney
Some people give up hope after a serious injury, sometimes not even realizing that the law is on their side. To better your financial recovery from your serious injury, contact an experienced lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP today.
Call us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the form at the bottom of this page for a free, no-obligation case consultation with a Mount Vernon personal injury lawyer.