$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
NYC Accident Injury Lawyer
Accidents lead to injuries, and injuries lead to mountains of expenses for victims. If you’re one of those victims, an NYC accident injury attorney can help you take back your financial stability.
In the Big Apple, one of the world’s biggest and busiest cities, the chances of getting injured in an accident are fairly high.
Fortunately, New York law allows accident victims to recover compensation for their injuries through the avenue of personal injury law. Contact an NYC accident injury lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP for help.
Types of Injuries Accidents Can Cause
Accident victims typically suffer from an assortment of injuries, many of which are debilitating, if not life-threatening.
Some serious injuries commonly suffered by accident victims include the following:
- Brain Injuries – While falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), a substantial number of cases are the consequences of vehicle collisions. Roughly 2.8 million Americans are hospitalized each year due to TBIs, and 50,000 die as a result. TBIs can affect numerous cognitive abilities, including your ability to think or remember clearly.
- Spine Injuries – Spinal injuries can cause tremendous impairment to victims, such as loss of strength, sensation, and function. While drugs and surgery can often reduce some pain and symptoms, the damage is often permanent. Generally, the higher up on the spine that the trauma occurs, the more serious it is.
- Broken Bones – While they usually heal over time, fractures and broken bones can inhibit you from living your regular life. Because there are many different types of breaks, not to mention numerous regions in which they can occur, it’s always a good idea to consult with a medical professional as soon as you break a bone.
- Severe Burns – Commonly associated with chemical contact, severe burns are surprisingly common in car accidents and work accidents. Whether you suffer a first-degree or third-degree burn, you may have grounds for compensation for an accident in which you were not at fault.
New York Liability Law
Currently, New York uses a standard called pure comparative negligence, which allows accident victims to recover at least some damages even if they hold some of the responsibility for the accident that injured them.
For example, you may be deemed by a judge to be 90 percent liable in a given accident, but you would still be eligible to recover 10 percent of the total damages you’re seeking, thanks to this rule.
It’s also important to be aware of other aspects of New York liability law, including the statute of limitations relevant to your case. For personal injury cases, New York gives victims three years from the date of the accident to sue, which is more generous than in many other states.
If you wait to file an NYC injury claim until after this period, you’ll be too late.
As you pursue compensation after your NYC accident injury, you may encounter a variety of difficult situations, which further emphasizes the need for a competent lawyer.
One dilemma that may present itself is the prospect of receiving a settlement, which has its own pros and cons.
Settlements, while providing a quick influx of cash, generally entail receiving a lesser amount than what you might receive in court. For this reason, many defendants and their insurers strongly prefer shelling out one-time settlement payouts, as opposed to waiting for a potentially damaging verdict.
Speaking of insurers, you have to be careful around them, particularly when speaking to adjusters. Anything you say to an insurance company can be used against you—and sometimes that means insurers will twist your words to make it look like you’re at fault.
Your NYC Accident Damages
It’s imperative to account for all injuries and losses that you incur as a result of your accident. Your NYC accident attorney will help you account for every damage related to your injuries, extending far into the future.
For example, you might be able to claim compensation for the following types of damages:
- Healthcare expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Scarring or disfigurement
Contact an NYC Accident Injury Attorney
If you’ve been hurt in an accident, your bills will inevitably make it increasingly difficult to make ends meet, particularly in an expensive metropolis like New York City.
Before you give up hope, understand that the law is on your side and you can recover damages for your injuries.