$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
NYC Car Accident Lawyer
Whether you were in a head-on collision or a fender-bender, you deserve compensation for your car accident. For help getting what you deserve, work with an NYC car crash lawyer.
One experience with New York City’s rush-hour traffic is enough to show you how easy it is to be involved in a car accident here. But the truth is that crashes happen at all hours in NYC—not just during workers’ commutes.
No matter when or how your car accident happened, you deserve full and fair compensation for any suffering you’ve endured if the crash was someone else’s fault. Unfortunately, because of the many negligent decisions drivers make on a daily basis, many safe drivers are hurt every day.
Fortunately, collision victims can pursue compensation by filing a personal injury claim. If recovering compensation for all of your damages—not just the basics the insurance company deems necessary—is something that interests you, get in touch with an NYC car accident lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP as soon as you can.
The Causes of NYC Car Accidents
Cars are a part of our daily lives, so they seem normal and safe. But if you give them a second look, you can start to see how dangerous they really are. Moving at high speed in a complex and imperfect machine while surrounded by multi-ton vehicles in narrow, curving lanes isn’t exactly a stroll through the park.
To make matters worse, countless car crashes could have been prevented if an involved driver had been paying closer attention, had chosen not to drink and drive that night, or had otherwise held the safety of others in higher regard.
Because we have handled many car accident claims in NYC, we’ve seen all kinds of crashes, and we understand that identifying the exact cause is a key step in determining who is responsible and therefore liable for your damages.
The following are some common causes of car accidents:
- Distracted Driving – A growing problem here and elsewhere, distracted driving is marked by drivers focusing their attention on anything that isn’t the road in front of them.
- Drowsy Driving – Some research has suggested drowsy driving is nearly as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Drunk Driving – No matter how publicized and regulated the problem of drunk driving is, it seems there will always be people who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel while drunk.
- Reckless or Careless Driving – Disobeying traffic signs and signals, speeding, driving aggressively, and similar behaviors cause many NYC car accidents.
- Vehicle Failures – Cars are enormous combinations of parts and smaller machines, and a failure in any of those parts could cause an accident.
- Road Hazards – Roadside construction sites, large potholes or debris, narrow lanes and shoulders, and other hazards commonly cause crashes in NYC.
Your attorney will pinpoint the exact cause of your crash by reviewing all available evidence. In most all cases, the cause will lead us to who is at fault.
Types of Car Accidents
Although all crashes feel serious at the time, some accidents are more serious than others. The type of car accident you suffered will also help give us an idea of who the at-fault party is, as well as support your side of the story when you describe your serious injuries.
The following are some common types of car accidents in NYC and a brief look at the types of injuries these crashes can cause:
- Head-On Collisions – Perhaps the most dangerous type of crash, these collisions can cause traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spine damage, facial disfigurement, and broken bones.
- Rear-End Accidents – These accidents are somewhat less dangerous than other types, but they can cause injuries ranging from whiplash to chronic back pain.
- T-Bone Crashes – Depending on what side the other driver hit you on and whether you had passengers in the car, T-bone accidents can cause injuries that range from relatively minor sprains and fractures to deadly brain trauma.
- Sideswipe Accidents – If another driver sideswipes you hard enough, your car can roll over, which can lead to broken bones, brain injuries, and burns in the event of a vehicle fire.
Understanding No-Fault Insurance
Your NYC car accident may be the first time that you really have to think about and understand New York’s no-fault insurance rules. This is a somewhat tedious but very important step in recovering the compensation you truly deserve.
Put simply, no-fault insurance means you will pursue compensation for your initial medical bills and property damage from your own insurer, despite the fact that the other driver was at fault.
Your insurer will be responsible for compensating you up to the limits of your policy or the limits set by the state. However, this system can be detrimental to NYC car accident victims in two basic scenarios.
The first scenario involves the insurer. No matter how faithfully you have paid your insurance premiums, your insurer is not going to back you up when it really counts. Adjusters will look for any reason to decrease the value of your claim or withhold compensation altogether. This is a moment when a qualified lawyer can step in and demand the compensation you deserve.
The second scenario involves policy limits on the compensation you can receive. What if your damages exceed the relatively low limits imposed on you? Fortunately, if your injuries exceed the state’s threshold for serious injuries, you can file a personal injury claim to recover maximum compensation for every hardship your car accident has caused.
What’s the Value of Your NYC Car Crash Claim?
Placing a value on your claim is no easy task. You have to account for every way in which the car accident has impacted your life. That includes financial damages and damages that don’t impact your bank account but negatively affect your life nonetheless.
The following are some examples of damages for which your NYC car wreck attorney can help you seek compensation:
- All medical expenses
- Lost income during your recovery
- Reduced ability to earn money in the future
- Replacing or repairing your damaged vehicle
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Disfigurement or scarring
NYC Car Accident FAQ
We have the answers to all your questions about your NYC car accident claim. If your question isn’t addressed below, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.
How do I recover compensation for a single-car crash?
Single-car crashes are relatively common in NYC, and they aren’t always the driver’s fault. The manufacturer of a defective car part or the government agency responsible for keeping the roads clear of hazards could be to blame. In those cases, you would pursue compensation from the responsible entity.
What is the statute of limitations for car accidents in New York?
You have three years from the date of your car accident to file a claim for compensation. However, if you’re pursuing compensation from a government agency, you’ll only have three months to get the ball rolling on your claim.
I’m partially responsible for my car accident. Am I still entitled to compensation?
If another party holds any blame at all for your NYC car accident, you can pursue compensation that is equal to the percentage of blame the other party holds. This rule is called pure comparative negligence.
Call an NYC Car Accident Attorney
The longer you wait to get started on your claim, the more difficult it will be to win the compensation you truly deserve. To get things moving and boost your chance of success, work with Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP.
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the form below to schedule a free consultation with an New York City accident lawyer.