New York City Car Accident Lawyer
In the state of New York, there were 299,452 car accidents reported in 2014 alone. If you have been in an auto accident of your own, you need a New York City car accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to represent you.
In the aftermath of a car accident, you may experience a number of financial expenses in the form of vehicle repairs and medical bills for any injuries you sustained. Retaining an NYC car accident lawyer is the best way to ensure that your interests are protected and that you receive full compensation for the financial burdens inflicted by the wreck.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by everything from dangerous roads to driver negligence. Some of the most common causes are as follows:
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) – Drunk driving is known to lead to horrific car accidents that cause wrongful death and severe injuries to those involved. Even one drink can impair a driver’s judgment, making it difficult to stop in time or even drive within the lane.
- Distracted Driving – With the rising use of cell phones and even Wi-Fi enabled vehicles, more and more people are driving distracted. Even eating while driving or changing the radio station can lead to a car accident. Collecting evidence of driver distraction can be difficult, but your NYC car accident lawyer will know how to go about it.
- Speeding – Driving above the posted speed limit makes it difficult to react to a dangerous situation in time.
- Dangerous Road Conditions – The government is supposed to maintain safe driving conditions on their roads. This doesn’t always happen, and things like potholes and steep shoulder drop-offs can lead to accidents.
Regardless of what caused your accident, a New York City car accident lawyer from our firm can investigate what happened and build a strong case that clearly demonstrates the negligence of the at-fault party.
Types of Car Accidents
The type of accident you were in can directly impact the injuries you receive and how long it takes to recover. The type will also dictate what sort of damage your vehicle sustains, as well. Accident types include the following:
- Rollover – When the impact of a collision is substantial enough, it can force the vehicle to roll onto its side and even to roll over further. These wrecks often result in broken bones and traumatic brain injuries in addition to cuts, bruises, and spinal injuries.
- Head-On Collision – Often caused by distracted driving, a head-on collision is likely to lead to significant trauma for the vehicle occupants. These accidents are a leading cause of whiplash and other spinal injuries as the force of the impact causes the head to jerk forward and then pull backwards again.
- Rear-End Collision – A regular occurrence in bad traffic, a rear-end accident tends to result in less severe injuries, although painful whiplash is often associated with it.
- Parking Lot Accident – Accidents in parking lots are surprisingly common. While they generally occur at much lower speeds, they are more likely to involve pedestrians.
- Multiple-Vehicle Accident – A pile-up or multi-car accident requires more investigative resources than the usual car accident due needing to analyze the relationship between each vehicle in what happened in order to determine negligence.
A New York City car accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will review your case and begin investigating what caused your accident. Whatever the circumstances of your car crash, we’ll determine who was at fault so that all responsible parties can be named in your personal injury lawsuit.
Common Injuries After a Car Accident
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 3.9 million people visit the emergency room (ER) on an annual basis for injuries related to car crashes. Over half of those visiting the ER after a car accident are diagnosed with some type of back injury. These can include whiplash, a slipped disc, and even paralysis.
Broken bones are another common injury and may require casts or even surgery in order to heal properly.
While not physically apparent, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental and emotional disorders are also frequently diagnosed after car accidents. Emotional injuries should be taken just as seriously as physical wounds; sometimes the impact they have on a person’s quality of life is even more dramatic.
If you are unsure if your accident injury is eligible for compensation, call our office and speak with a New York City car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Wrongful Death and Car Accidents
As New York City car accident lawyers, we also represent families of victims who have been killed in a car crash. Any time an individual dies due to the negligence of another party, there is the potential for a wrongful death lawsuit.
Typically, a close family member like a spouse or child needs to file the claim, but parents and other financially dependent household members may be entitled to as well. These cases are complex and require diligent investigation, so calling our office to discuss your legal options with an NYC car accident lawyer is your best course of action.
Financial Compensation After an NYC Car Accident
You could be entitled to far more than having your medical bills covered. By working with a New York City car accident lawyer from our office, we will ensure that you receive compensation for all of the ways that your life has been financially impacted by your accident and injuries. This may include any of the following:
- Vehicle Repairs – Your vehicle will need to be repaired or replaced after a wreck, and you should receive a rental car to enable your transportation in the interim.
- Replacement of Property – Any personal property that was damaged or ruined in the crash should be replaced—your laptop or cell phone, for example.
- Medical Bills – Both your current and future medical bills should be accounted for in your financial settlement.
- Rehabilitation Services and Physical Therapy – Your recovery may require an extensive physical therapy program.
- Home or Vehicle Modifications – If your injury caused a disability, you may need to retrofit your home and vehicle—expenses you should not have to pay for.
- Personal Assistance – It is common to need to hire professional help while recovering.
- Lost Wages and Income – If you have been unable to work or had to take a reduction in hours, these lost wages may be recouped through your lawsuit. Your NYC car accident lawyer will ensure that these are fully taken into account.
Settling vs. Going to Court
One of the benefits of working with a New York City car accident lawyer is that you may not need to go to court. Once we file suit, it will demonstrate that you are serious, and the other side may suddenly become eager to negotiate.
If they make you a fair offer, there is no need to go to court. If they don’t, however, we can proceed to trial and present a case for why you deserve compensation.
New York City Car Accident FAQ
The aftermath of a car crash is bound to be a stressful time filled with questions. Answered below are a few of the questions most frequently asked by our clients. If yours isn’t addressed, please call us and speak directly with an NYC car accident lawyer from our office.
How does car insurance work in New York?
New York is a no-fault car insurance state. This means that your own insurance should pay for your medical bills and damages. However, if your expenses exceed your coverage or you meet certain criteria, it’s possible to pursue further compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit against those at-fault.
What do I do if my car was damaged while parked and the driver left?
It may be possible to track down the at-fault driver through surveillance footage or eyewitness accounts. Your New York City car accident lawyer will help you find whatever evidence is available.
What if the other driver received a ticket for the accident?
If the other driver is ticketed for causing the accident and fails to contest it, then this would be an admission of guilt and could be used to justify your right to financial compensation.
Speak with an NYC Car Accident Lawyer
Car accident injuries can be serious and so can the long-term financial ramifications that result from them. To make sure you receive the compensation you deserve, call our office and schedule a free consultation right away.
To reach a New York City car accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462). If you prefer, you can also fill out our contact form below and we will contact you at your convenience. With our experienced attorneys on your side, you won’t have to worry about being a victim twice.