Suing for Wrongful Death in a Car Accident

Being injured in a car crash is already difficult. Worse, though, is losing a loved one to a major vehicle accident. It’s a traumatic experience already, and the other driver may be at fault for the fatal injuries. When that happens, what can you do?

Suing for wrongful death in a car accident can be difficult, but your family needs that compensation to recover. That’s why our attorneys at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP are ready to help. We understand how difficult this time can be, so we’re ready to fight back for you. Reach out for the help you need as you seek compensation for a family member’s fatal accident.

Eligibility to File a Fatal Car Crash Claim in New York

When a loved one is lost in a fatal auto accident, you’ll need to find the right person to seek fair compensation. Because the injured party has passed away, they can no longer file, and someone else will need to file that claim.

In New York, your options are restricted to the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. This restriction prevents any confusion about who’s eligible to file a wrongful death claim in New York. While a family member can file, they must also be the personal representative of the estate.

Fortunately, this law doesn’t mean that the family can’t receive compensation. While the personal representative must file the claim, they can fight for compensation for the surviving beneficiaries. So, if your loved one passed away in a fatal car crash, you may have a chance to receive compensation for your damages.

Compensation for the Family

Unfortunately, a death in the family can be an expensive affair, and an auto accident can be pricey, as well. That means your family is paying for someone else’s negligence. You deserve compensation for your losses.

That’s why New York law allows the family to seek certain damages for their losses. Your family may be suffering both financially and mentally, and they deserve relief from that suffering. If someone in your family has suffered a fatal car accident, your family may be able to seek the following wrongful death damages:

  • Funeral and burial damages
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of support
  • Final medical care
  • Lost inheritance

Seek Help with Your Car Accident Wrongful Death Claim

When you’ve lost a loved one to a car crash, you’re grieving and suffering. Unfortunately, another driver might be responsible for your loved one’s passing. Your family needs compensation, but that’s not always so easy to get.

Suing for wrongful death in a car accident requires a personal representative, as well as the type of guidance a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can provide. With our attorneys on your side, you’ll have the help you need to seek the compensation your family needs. The right lawyer can help your claim succeed.

If you still have questions, reach out to our attorneys before you begin. We offer free consultations so you know what to expect and what we can offer before you sign anything. So, when you’re ready to begin, reach out to us with your wrongful death claim. We can be reached at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or through the online form below.

Start live chat with our team?