What if the Other Driver Is Uninsured?

When you’re hurt in a car accident, your first action may be to exchange car insurance information with the other driver. That’s especially important if you think they were at fault for your injuries or if the damage was serious enough that your insurance company won’t pay for all or any of it.

But you may have found that the other driver is uninsured, which uproots some of your options for compensation. To take the next steps to recovering compensation, reach out to your lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We can help those seeking compensation from the uninsured get the coverage they need.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

First, you may want to seek compensation from your own insurance company. In New York, no-fault laws can help you avoid a long, complex court claim. No-fault laws state that you should be covered by your insurance company, regardless of fault. That means you don’t have to worry about the other driver’s part in the accident—you can just get compensated.

But let’s say you suffered some serious injuries, and the costs of your car accident are more than your insurance policy will cover. In these cases, if the at-fault party is uninsured, your uninsured motorist coverage may help. This additional coverage will cover some of the costs of your damages, up to a certain amount, related to the injuries you suffered in the accident.

Getting Compensated in Court

In some cases, you may still be unable to get the compensation you’re due from the insurance company. If that’s the case, you have two options: sue the insurance company, or sue the at-fault party.

When the insurance company acts in bad faith, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Insurance companies are supposed to offer coverage in case of a car accident, but sometimes, companies put their profits before their customers. If they fail to uphold their part of the contract, you may have grounds for a lawsuit for your settlement.

While you may have a better chance of getting compensated for your economic and non-economic damages through the insurance company, you may also file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. In many cases, if a driver can’t afford to pay for insurance, they may also be unable to pay for the costs of a lawsuit. But if your other options fail, your lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver and seek compensation for their actions.

Speak with a Personal Injury Lawyer for Help

A car accident can leave you struggling to recover from your injuries, your trauma, and the costs of these damages. You shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for these things, but the other driver wasn’t insured.

With Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, you have options—we can help you choose the best path to compensation for your claim. If you’re struggling to get answers for your claim, seek out a free consultation with us. Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the online contact form below to learn more.

Start live chat with our team?