Don’t be a victim twiceChoose the right attorney!
$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
What Is the NY Serious Injury Threshold?
Whether your injury is considered serious or not is going to influence how much compensation you stand to receive through your personal injury claim.
The state of New York has set a threshold to define which injuries are considered serious, although the attorneys at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP know that almost any injury can be serious to the victim.
New York Serious Injury Threshold
In New York, injuries are classified as serious if they fall into certain categories.
An injury is considered serious if it results in any of the following:
- Significant Disfigurement – This could include burn injuries and facial damage.
- Bone Fractures – Breaking a bone is common in accidents. Those that require surgery or a cast may be considered serious.
- Loss of a Body Part – Any lost limb or organ is considered serious.
- Wrongful Death – If your loved one has died in an accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim.
- Loss of a Fetus – Losing a fetus as a result of your injury could also result in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Permanent Limitations – Becoming unable to walk properly is a good example of a permanent limitation, which is considered a serious injury.
- Inability to Complete Daily Activities – If your injury rendered you unable to complete daily tasks for more than ninety days after your accident, it would be considered serious in New York.
If your injury is not listed above, but you believe it’s serious, speak with a lawyer. Even if your injury is considered minor, you can still file a personal injury claim against the negligent party to seek financial compensation.
You May Need a Lawyer
An experienced injury attorney can help you make a strong argument for why your injury should be considered serious and why you deserve compensation.
For example, traumatic brain injuries aren’t specifically listed as serious under New York law, but they can lead to memory loss and emotional trauma. An attorney could demonstrate how serious your injury is by showing that it has made daily activities impossible.
Get the Help You Need
The attorneys at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP are here to answer all the questions you have about your injury claim, and we’re ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.
To schedule a consultation with a New York serious injury lawyer, give us a call at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the form below.