NYC Injury Claim Lawyer
To get help with your injury claim in NYC, get in touch with a lawyer today.
You probably do a lot of things on your own. You might clean your home, do your taxes, or even perform light maintenance on your own car, but you probably don’t want to handle the complicated legal process of filing a personal injury claim without some qualified help.
That’s because you’re likely to face some significant challenges from negligent parties, insurance companies, and other lawyers during the time when receiving compensation for injuries that weren’t your fault is most important.
You won’t want to simply file the claim and hope for the best, so get help from an NYC injury claim lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP.
Various Causes of Injuries
No two accident victims sustain their injuries in the same way. Some of the most common accident types seen in NYC include the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Nationwide, there has been a small uptick in the number of vehicle accidents over the past few years, despite a simultaneous increase in car safety features. Regardless of the type of car you drive, you may be eligible for damages if another motorist’s actions played a role in your crash and resulting injuries.
- Work Accidents – Contrary to popular belief, you can often sue outside of workers’ compensation in the case of a work-related accident, depending on the circumstances of your accident. If you were hurt as a bystander near a construction project, you may also be able to recover compensation for your injuries.
- Premises Liability – Whether you’re at an NYC concert venue or someone’s place of residence, you may be able to pursue compensation if the owner of the property was negligent in the upkeep of the grounds and you were injured due to that lack of care. Anything from being bitten by a pet to slipping and falling on a slick floor may warrant compensation.
- Product Liability – Unfortunately, manufacturers don’t always hold up their end of the deal when it comes to making safe products. If you were hurt by a defective vehicle, electronic device, or any other product, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim.
- Medical Malpractice – Doctors aren’t perfect, and they can be held financially accountable when they’ve seriously affected your wellbeing, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Generally, to prove a physician has been negligent, you will need to demonstrate that he or she did not meet the medical profession’s standard of care.
Legal Concepts to Understand
Although an experienced NYC personal injury lawyer can help you during the course of formulating and filing a suit, it helps to be cognizant of what typically goes into personal injury law in the state of New York.
First of all, New York uses a standard known as pure comparative negligence in liability cases. This can play to your benefit.
Pure comparative negligence allows accident victims to recover at least some damages as long as they are not completely responsible for their injuries.
For example, even if you were found 95 percent responsible for your injuries, you would be eligible to receive that remaining 5 percent from other parties in the form of monetary damages.
Another important legal concept to understand is New York’s statute of limitations for personal injury cases.
You are given three years to begin legal proceedings, after which point any attempt to present a claim for compensation will be considered invalid. The statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims in New York is slightly shorter.
Placing a Value on Your Claim
Injury victims are eligible to recover damages for all past and present injuries and losses, alongside any harm expected to be incurred in the future, related to their accident.
Examples of potential damages include medical expenses, lost wages or earning potential, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lifestyle-related adjustments, loss of consortium, and worsened quality of life.
How an NYC Injury Lawyer Can Help You
When you have a serious case that is affecting your life, it is imperative that you retain the services of a veteran legal team to give yourself a good chance at a successful outcome.
You can think of the enlistment of an NYC injury law firm’s services as being like an investment—one that often returns high gains.
Certain types of injury claims almost always warrant getting the help of a lawyer, including medical malpractice suits and any type of case in which you have experienced a long-term or debilitating injury.
Contact an NYC Injury Claim Attorney
Whether you’ve been the victim of a car collision or an exploding household appliance, you deserve full compensation for your injuries.
For a strong chance of winning your case, contact an NYC injury claim lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP today. Give us a call at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the online contact form below to schedule a free consultation.