Can I Sue for a Slip-and-Fall on Ice?

When the weather outside is frightful, people generally try to stay indoors to avoid bitter cold and dangerous conditions. You might not have that option, though, and now you’ve fallen and suffered injuries due to frozen-over sidewalks or public walkways.

Now, you’re wondering, “Can I sue for a slip-and-fall on ice?” The answer depends on your unique situation, but generally, if someone didn’t do their due diligence in keeping the walkways shoveled and salted, you could have the opportunity to hold them accountable by filing an injury claim.

These types of claim are tricky, and to give your case the best chance at a positive outcome, consider enlisting the help of a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We’ll work tirelessly to ensure you’re compensated for all the ways your slip-and-fall injuries have negatively impacted your life.

Government Agencies Could Be Responsible

When you’re injured in a slip-and-fall accident, finding the responsible party can be difficult when considering that the responsible party typically wasn’t present during the accident. In most cases, your lawyer can pinpoint the responsible party by identifying who or what is responsible for the area where you were injured.

For example, if you slipped and fell on a public sidewalk, your injuries could be the responsibility of the government agency responsible for making sure the streets and sidewalks are safe. They are responsible for monitoring the weather and acting accordingly to protect residents from injuries.

Otherwise, you might have been injured because your landlord was negligent. Property owners are responsible for the safety of visitors and tenants, so if you slipped on your apartment parking lot, for example, the landlord or management company might be liable for your injuries.

Seeking Compensation for Your Damages

When you slip and fall on ice, what are your damages worth? Often, that will depend on the severity of your injuries, as well as the extent of your financial and non-financial losses, as they relate to your accident.

The economic damages for your fall should cover all financial losses you’ve suffered because of your accident. These damages include anything that comes with a bill attached, such as medical care costs and physical rehabilitation.

Your non-economic damages could be more difficult to calculate, though. These losses are intangible, which makes it more difficult to attach a dollar value to them. You may need a lawyer to determine the full compensation you deserve for damages such as the examples below:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damage
  • Mental anguish

Sue with a Lawyer’s Help

When you’re injured after falling on the ice, you deserve compensation for your suffering. Luckily, you can obtain recompense by filing a personal injury claim for your damages. However, if you’re not familiar with New York’s injury laws, you might not be ready to tackle that alone. You might not even be sure whether you can sue for a slip-and-fall on the ice.

A highly qualified lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help. We have years of experiencing helping injury victims identify the at-fault party and hold them accountable for their negligent or careless actions. Reach out today for your free consultation by filling out the online form below or by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462).

Start live chat with our team?