Can I Sue on My Child's Behalf in New York? | Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP

Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!

  • $200,000,000
    in Recoveries
    Since 1995
  • Nearly 20,000
    Satisfied Clients
  • Cases Settled
  • Calls Returned
    Every Time
$200,000,000 In Recoveries Since 1995
  Nearly 20,000 Satisfied Clients
$200,000,000 In Recoveries Since 1995
  Cases Settled Quickly
Calls Returned Every TIme
Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!
September 25, 2020

Can I Sue on My Child’s Behalf in New York?

When your child is injured, it can be devastating as a parent or guardian. You were supposed to protect them, but someone else injured them with their carelessness. Now, your child’s injuries and expenses are adding up, and it’s hurting their future. But can you sue on your child’s behalf in New York? 

You may need guidance from the lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to settle your child’s claim fairly. Reach out for guidance on your child’s personal injury lawsuit.

Time Limits for Your Child’s New York Injury Claim

As an adult, you only have three years to file a lawsuit and get fairly compensated for a serious injury. But what if your child won’t be old enough to sue in three years? 

Luckily, the time limits for children are different. Your child’s time limits won’t begin until they’re old enough to sue. For example, if your child is seven and was hurt in a car accident, they can wait until they’re eighteen to file, when their claim’s time limit begins to count down. 

Suing on a Child’s Behalf in New York 

But waiting isn’t your only option. You may need those funds now to help your child overcome the losses they’ve suffered. As their guardian, you can act now on their claim, rather than waiting. 

You can act as their guardian ad litem. A judge can appoint you to this position for your child so you can act for them while they’re unable to act on their own behalf. Your lawyer can help you prepare their lawsuit and take care of their compensation when the lawsuit has concluded. 

Contact a Lawyer About Your Child’s Injury Claim

Your child may not be old enough to file a lawsuit for their injuries. That doesn’t mean they’re not due compensation, and it doesn’t mean your family is out of options. Seek help from a personal injury lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We can help you go after compensation for your child’s injuries. Start with a free consultation by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or completing the online contact form below. 


“Their communication with me was great and they were always quick to respond to emails and calls. I would highly recommend using Greenstein and Milbauer for motor vehicle accidents.”

- Brittany L. via Google

"I put my trust in the law office of Greenstein & Milbauer and it paid off!"

- Marlo K. via Google

"I couldn’t recommend them more highly!"

- Adam B. via Google

"They don't stop till they get it done, and they get it done!"

- Mitch L. via Google
view all

or fill out the form below for a

1 Step 1
First Nameyour full name
Last Nameyour full name
Phone Numberyour full name
Tell Us About Your Casemore details
0 /

All fields required*

powered by FormCraft