Can You Sue a Church for Sexual Abuse in New York? | Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP

Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!

  • $200,000,000
    in Recoveries
    Since 1995
  • Nearly 20,000
    Satisfied Clients
  • Cases Settled
  • Calls Returned
    Every Time
$200,000,000 In Recoveries Since 1995
  Nearly 20,000 Satisfied Clients
$200,000,000 In Recoveries Since 1995
  Cases Settled Quickly
Calls Returned Every TIme
Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!
September 28, 2020

Can You Sue a Church for Sexual Abuse in New York?

If you’ve been sexually abused within a New York church, you may be concerned about your options for retaliation. Whether your abuse happened years ago, or whether you’re the parent of an abused child, you need to know whether you can sue a church for sexual abuse in New York. 

If you have questions about your claim options, reach out for a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. Our New York lawyers can help you get answers when dealing with the aftermath of sexual abuse. 

Liability for Sexual Abuse 

If you or a loved one has been sexually abused, you have every right to hold those who were liable for your injuries responsible for your claim. In many cases, that means holding the sexual abuser liable for the suffering they have caused. 

However, they may not be the only one who’s liable. The church may have had reason to believe abuse was going on, and they’re responsible for ensuring the safety of their church members. If they ignored or allowed sexual abuse to continue, the church could be sued for your suffering. If someone was required to report abuse as a child care worker, they could also face severe penalties for failure to report. 

Suing the Church Under New York’s Child Victims Act

Acting on a civil lawsuit against a church in New York can seem daunting. You may even be worried about your legal standing and whether you’re even eligible for a lawsuit. That’s especially true for people who didn’t file charges against their abuser, and for those whose abuse happened decades ago. 

New York’s Child Victims Act makes it easier for you to seek compensation. If you’re under fifty-five years old, you may still be eligible for compensation for sexual abuse under these new laws. If you’re over fifty-five, talk to your lawyer about the one-year time limit for those over fifty-five to file a claim under these laws. 

Contact a NYC Sexual Abuse Lawyer for Help 

If you’ve suffered through sexual abuse, you’ve been through a lot of pain and trauma that could be compensated. However, you may already be worried about your options to sue. That’s especially true if the predator who harmed you has passed away in the meantime. Fortunately, you can sue a church for sexual abuse in New York, as well as the abuser. 

If you’re struggling to understand your rights and options for a New York sexual abuse claim, talk to your lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We can discuss your situation and your options for compensation during a free consultation, so you know what to expect before committing to a particular law firm. 

If you’re ready to file a claim against the responsible party, talk to your lawyer by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or by filling out the online form below. 


“Their communication with me was great and they were always quick to respond to emails and calls. I would highly recommend using Greenstein and Milbauer for motor vehicle accidents.”

- Brittany L. via Google

"I put my trust in the law office of Greenstein & Milbauer and it paid off!"

- Marlo K. via Google

"I couldn’t recommend them more highly!"

- Adam B. via Google

"They don't stop till they get it done, and they get it done!"

- Mitch L. via Google
view all

or fill out the form below for a

1 Step 1
First Nameyour full name
Last Nameyour full name
Phone Numberyour full name
Tell Us About Your Casemore details
0 /

All fields required*

powered by FormCraft