$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
Choose the right attorney!
Child Victims Act Signed into Law
On February 14, 2019, New York state governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed the Child Victims Act into law. This legislation:
- Increases the amount of time during which perpetrators of these crimes may be held criminally accountable;
- Allows victims of these crimes to commence a civil lawsuit at any time before they reach 55 years of age;
- Provides victims whose claims have been time-barred a new opportunity for their day in court by opening a one-year window for them to commence their action;
- Eliminates the need to file a notice of claim for sexual offenses committed against a minor;
- Requires judicial training with respect to crimes involving the sexual abuse of minors;
- Authorizes the Office of Court Administration to promulgate rules and regulations for the timely adjudication of revived actions.
At the signing, Governor Cuomo said, “We are here today because survivors who endured unimaginable pain came forward with great courage and sacrificed their own privacy to make change for others. This bill brings justice to people who were abused and rights the wrongs that went unacknowledged and unpunished for too long. By signing this bill, we are saying nobody is above the law, that the cloak of authority is not impenetrable, and that if you violate the law, we will find out and you will be punished and justice will be done.”
How the Child Victims Act Impacts You
With the extension on the statute of limitations, one of the barriers that protected these sexual predators has finally been removed. Survivors of childhood sexual abuse can have their day in court. “Survivors finally have the opportunity to seek justice against their abusers and the institutions who may have harbored them,” Senator Brad Hoylman said.
Survivors who suffered unspeakable abuse now have the opportunity to finally hold sexual predators accountable, and the sex abuse lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will stand up and fight for the survivors of these heinous crimes. Our attorneys will work to bring justice to sex abuse survivors. Those who have abused children in New York should and now can be held accountable for their actions, regardless of when the crime occurred.
Speak with an NY Child Sex Abuse Lawyer
Nobody is above the law! Contact an NYC sexual abuse attorney. Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP is an experienced child victims law firm with deep experience with child victims law. Schedule a free, confidential consultation by calling Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or filling out the form below.