Reasons Some Sex Abuse Survivors Remain Silent
Survivors often suffer in silence after experiencing sexual assault or abuse. These survivors often stay silent for many reasons, including some of the following:
- Fear of reprisal or retaliation
- Fear of not being believed or other negative reactions
- Fearing their accusations will not be taken seriously
- Fear that the police won’t help
- Perpetrator is someone they know; fear that this person will get in trouble
- Not wanting family or others to know
- Denial of what happened
- Having been threatened, intimidated, or warned to remain quiet
The Importance of Speaking Out against Abuse
If you’ve been a victim of sexual abuse or assault, the compassionate New York sexual abuse lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP are here to listen.
You could be instrumental in putting an abuser away so that they don’t hurt anyone else in the way that you were hurt. Your choice to speak out and file a criminal and civil claim against the abuser could make a real difference in many people’s lives. We hope it’s also helpful in your own healing and recovery process.
However, we understand that coming forward is very difficult. We can help. We will walk you through the process. We are committed to holding abusers responsible, as well as any institutions that protected them.
Talk to a Sex Abuse Lawyer about Your New York Case
If you or a loved one were the victim of sexual abuse or assault, contact the New York sex abuse attorneys at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We can help you seek justice. Fill out the secure online form below or call 1-800-VICTIM2 (1-800-842-8462) to schedule a free, confidential consultation with the lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. You don’t pay us unless we are successful, so reach out now.