Staten Island Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If your loved one has been neglected or abused at the hands of a caregiving facility, don’t let those responsible go unpunished. You can file a claim for compensation with the help of a Staten Island nursing home abuse attorney.
Sometimes, it’s necessary for elderly people to enter nursing homes, usually because they’re no longer able to care for themselves. Regrettably, this inability to care for themselves also makes them a target for abuse. Because they can’t defend themselves, they can be neglected, physically abused, and psychologically tormented.
Abuse is unacceptable. If your loved one has suffered any kind of abuse in a caregiving facility, you don’t have to stand for it. Fight abuse of vulnerable adults by standing up for your loved one and for elders everywhere.
You can get help filing a personal injury claim against the offending party from a Staten Island nursing home abuse lawyer.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse on Staten Island
Nursing home abuse is any abuse of the elderly that takes place in the setting of a caregiving facility. Abuse can take many forms, such as physical violence, emotional abuse, and neglect.
One of the best defenses against this is to identify the signs of abuse right away. You can also defend against abuse by standing up and fighting it.
Filing a personal injury claim can help others become more aware of the problem of elder abuse, and it can lead to preventive measures being put in place in other nursing homes. That’s in addition to compensating your loved one for the harm he or she suffered.
Some of the most common types of nursing home abuses seen on Staten Island are listed below:
- Physical – Hitting, punching, pushing, slapping, kicking, pinching
- Emotional – Verbal abuse, belittling, yelling, blaming
- Neglect and Malnourishment – Failure to provide adequate care, not providing nutritious food and needed medical care
- Sexual – Any nonconsensual sexual contact of any kind
- Psychological – Isolation, ignoring the elder, withholding affection, preventing visits from family members
- Financial – Misuse of the resident’s funds in any way
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Being on the lookout for signs of elder abuse is the best way to prevent your loved one from being abused. Each type of abuse will have different signs you should be watching for. If you’ve noticed any of the following signs, your elderly loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse:
- Physical Signs – Scratches, bruises, repeatedly broken bones, torn clothing
- Emotional and Behavioral Signs – Withdrawal, depression, anxiety, fearfulness
- Neglect – Bedsores, weight loss, dirty clothes, poor hygiene
Get in Touch with a Staten Island Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Neglect and abuse should never be allowed to happen to our elders. Your loved one deserves the right to live free from fear and mistreatment. You can take a stand by filing an injury claim against those responsible for your loved one’s abuse.
You can get help with your claim from a Staten Island nursing home abuse lawyer. Your attorney will fight to ensure that your loved one is compensated for the horrors he or she has experienced. To speak with Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the online contact form below.