Westchester Personal Injury Lawyer
With over 136 million emergency room visits each year, being injured in an accident is an all-too-common occurrence. If you have been injured and someone else was to blame, call Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to speak with a Westchester personal injury lawyer.
We can review the details of your case and inform you of what your legal options are. With our help, you’ll be able to seek the financial compensation you are owed for the injuries you’ve experienced.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries
Many people don’t realize that it is possible to sue for damages regardless of the type of accident you had. The key is not the type of accident but who was responsible for it. If we can prove that someone else caused your accident and injury, you could be entitled to financial compensation.
Some of the more common causes of injuries in Westchester include all of the following:
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents – When a property is not properly cared for, falls are often the result.
- Defective Products – Product manufacturers sometimes cut corners and create products that are dangerous to their consumers. For example, if a product suddenly caught fire or was made using hazardous components, you could have a case.
- Birth Injuries – A birth injury can happen to either the mother or the newborn and is typically the result of medical malpractice.
- Construction Accidents and Workplace Injuries – Construction sites are confusing at the best of times. As a result, workplace injuries are alarmingly common.
- Burns – Depending on the severity, a burn injury can leave you permanently disfigured and unable to work.
Even if your accident type isn’t listed above, you can find out if your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence by speaking with a Westchester personal injury attorney from our office.
Car Accidents Lead the Statistics
While there is an almost infinite number of injury causes, car accidents stand out as the number one source of injuries. There are around 299,000 car accidents in New York every year, making them a leading cause of personal injuries in drivers, passengers, and pedestrians alike.
More than 9,000 of these accidents result in severe injuries each year, so it is critical to take the time to be thoroughly diagnosed and hire a Westchester personal injury lawyer from our firm to represent your interests after an auto crash.
Types of Westchester Personal Injuries
Your Westchester personal injury lawyer will assist you regardless of how severe your injuries are. If your injuries have required medical care or decreased the quality of your life, you can sue for financial damages.
Some of the more common personal injury types we see are listed below:
- Head and Brain Injuries – The frequency of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) is on the rise with 7 million reported annually. Often deadly, you will need to be under regular medical supervision during your recovery process.
- Broken Bones – Whether you broke your leg, your wrist, or something else, the recovery process is likely to hinder your ability to perform daily household tasks and work responsibilities—both items you can be compensated for.
- Internal Bleeding and Organ Damage – This kind of injury often creates a need for surgery, long-term rehabilitation, and taking time off from work for recovery.
- Emotional Trauma – Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can make it impossible to return to the area where you were injured or even tolerate similar circumstances.
- Back and Spine Injuries – Car accidents are a leading cause of back injuries, but the spine can also be damaged in a slip and fall or some other type of accident. Whether you need surgery or chiropractic care, your medical bills should be covered.
Maximize Your Personal Injury Compensation
Do not make the mistake of either settling your case too quickly or undervaluing it. Your Westchester personal injury lawyer will determine how your injuries have impacted your life and the expenses you have suffered as a result.
Your financial settlement should account for everything you’ve endured because of your injury:
- Pain and suffering
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical and emotional therapy
- Modifications to your home to accommodate the injury
- Caregiver expenses
Your Westchester personal injury lawyer will ensure that your final settlement amount is both fair and covers your accident-related expenses now and in the future.
Wrongful Death Cases
If an accident caused the death of a loved one, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of his or her estate. As a family member, compensation can help you recover some of the contributions the deceased would have made to your household, thereby allowing you to maintain your standard of living—and not to mention compensate you for the pain and suffering you have experienced.
Money can’t bring your loved one back, but your Westchester personal injury lawyer can ease your financial burden by representing you and helping you seek compensation from the responsible parties.
Going to Court vs. Settling Your Case
When you hire a Westchester personal injury lawyer from our firm, the process will begin with gathering evidence in order to build your case.
Once we have fully valued your claim, we will create a demand letter that will be sent to the insurance company. If they are willing to work with us and give you a fair settlement offer, there will be no need to go to court.
However, insurance companies prioritize their profits over everything else. In order to preserve their bottom line, they have to pay out as little as possible in claim settlements. This means that in many cases they refuse to pay for important medical procedures and don’t offer fair settlements.
When this occurs, your best option will be to go to trial and present evidence before a judge and jury. Whatever happens, your Westchester personal injury lawyer will counsel and represent you until your case reaches its conclusion.
File Before Time Runs Out
In the state of New York, you only have three years from your date of injury in which to file a personal injury lawsuit. It is critical that you file in time; otherwise, your case could be thrown out of court without a judge or jury ever hearing it.
When you work with a Westchester personal injury lawyer from our law firm, we will ensure that everything regarding your case is performed in a timely fashion and that you never lose your right to seek compensation.
Westchester Personal Injury FAQ
Below, you will find answers to a few of the most commonly asked questions we hear from our clients. If you would like more information or don’t see your question listed, please call our firm to speak with a Westchester personal injury lawyer.
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit for mental or emotional trauma?
Yes. Personal injuries don’t need to be physical in nature to be eligible for financial compensation. Your doctor will need to provide an official diagnosis and medical documentation, which can then be included in your personal injury case.
What do I do if I didn’t see a doctor after my accident but now think I was injured?
Seek medical attention for a full evaluation immediately. Once you have been diagnosed and know what your treatment will entail, you can then seek financial compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.
What if my employer was responsible for my accident?
If your accident was caused by your employer’s negligence, you should be eligible to file a workers compensation claim. If malice or intent was involved, however, you can instead file a personal injury lawsuit seeking financial restitution.
Consult a Westchester Personal Injury Attorney
Don’t let yourself be taken advantage of by insurance companies. Hire the legal representation you need to ensure that you are treated fairly throughout the legal process. When you call Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, we will schedule a free consultation to discuss your options and determine the best way for you to proceed with your case.
Get started by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or filling out the form below. Don’t be a victim twice—secure legal representation for your personal injury case today!