NYC Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
When motorcycle wrecks happen, devastating injuries are all but certain to follow. Find out if you have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit and what your case could be worth by consulting with an NYC motorcycle accident lawyer.
If you’ve been hurt in a motorcycle accident, you already know just how bad the injuries and emotional trauma suffered in a wreck can be. Unfortunately, the aftermath of a crash can be just as stressful, and it could easily impact your future just as seriously as your injuries.
Recovery often requires a substantial amount of medical care and other expenses, and the parties responsible for paying for these items—including your own insurance company—are primarily going to be interested in getting you to settle quickly and for as little as possible. Failure to handle this process correctly could leave you in a situation where you’re paying for your accident-related expenses out of your own pocket.
Getting a fair settlement isn’t something that can be corrected after the fact, either. This makes it incredibly important to have an NYC motorcycle accident lawyer on your side from the beginning. With the help of Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, you’ll know that the settlement you receive is the largest one possible for your case.
The Insurance Company Isn’t Going to Help
In New York, we have what’s called “no-fault” auto insurance, which also applies to motorcycles. This means that whether you caused your accident or someone else was at fault, your own policy will be paying the initial medical expenses and a percentage of any lost income caused by your injuries.
Unfortunately, motorcycle wreck injuries tend to be so serious that most accident victims quickly find their policy limits maxed out. This type of insurance also often doesn’t pay for damage done to your bike—and it never covers non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and even other non-medical financial losses.
When this happens, the only way you can recover additional compensation is to file a personal injury lawsuit against the party at fault for causing your crash. Things can get even more difficult here because their insurance or attorney is bound to take advantage of motorcycle stereotypes portraying bikers as reckless and attempt to pin the blame on you. With the help of an NYC motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm, you’ll be able to expose this tactic for what it is and deal with the insurers on their own terms.
Know Who Was Responsible for Your Motorcycle Crash
Part of getting a fair and full settlement for a motorcycle wreck is identifying everyone who was at least partially responsible for what happened and building a case that proves it. Because the insurance is going to try to blame you to reduce what they’ll have to pay, your NYC motorcycle accident lawyer will need to investigate your crash, collect all available evidence, and gather witness testimony.
While this will obviously involve reviewing the accident report and your crash-related medical records, less-obvious evidence will also need to be identified:
- Distracted Driving – This takes many forms, but often involves cell phones. Distracted drivers are far more likely to miss the smaller profile of motorbikes, so evidence of the distraction—such as cell phone records—will need to be found.
- Drunk Driving – Intoxicated drivers cause thousands of traffic accidents every year. Even if there wasn’t an official blood or breath test done, a witness who saw an open container or smelled alcohol may be able to back up your claim.
- Dangerous Roads – Potholes and steep shoulders might not seem dangerous to cars and trucks, but they can be disastrous to motorcycles. When a road is improperly maintained, the government agency or business responsible for its upkeep is also responsible for your damages.
- Defective Part – A surprising number of motorcycle accidents are caused by shoddy parts. This indicates negligence on the part of the manufacturer, but a link between your accident and the part’s defect will need to be proven in order to collect restitution.
Motorcycle Wreck Injuries
Because motorcycles lack an external frame and other safety features, serious injuries tend to be the rule rather than the exception in these accidents. The exact nature and the treatment you’ll require will have the single greatest impact on the amount of compensation you’ll receive.
For example, a brain injury could prevent you from continuing in your current career and could even change the way you interact with your family. A serious head injury could easily require a great deal of medical care, possibly even for the rest of your life.
Nearly any injury can have similar results, even if they’re only short term. Whether you’ve experienced a spine injury or a broken bone, you deserve to have all of your injury-related expenses and losses compensated, which is why it’s so important to work with an NYC motorcycle accident lawyer—because the insurance company isn’t going to help you determine this.
How Much Is Your Motorbike Claim Worth?
Valuing a claim doesn’t stop with your medical expenses, however. Your injuries are likely to result in a number of non-economic damages that affect your enjoyment of life and what you’re able to do. Similarly, you’ll also have several additional financial expenses that need to be covered.
An NYC motorcycle accident lawyer from our office will go over with you in detail what you’ve experienced, how much you’ve spent, and what you’re likely to need to spend in the future:
- Current and future medical costs
- Lost wages and income—all of it, not just the percentage covered by a no-fault policy
- Therapy for both physical injuries and emotional trauma
- Caretaker and transportation expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Damage done to your marriage or personal relationships
- Lost enjoyment of life
Contact a New York City Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Don’t let an insurance company or opposing attorney take advantage of you after a motorbike wreck. An experienced NYC motorcycle accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you need to pay for your recovery and move on from a horrible event. To get started with a free case evaluation with Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, simply call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or submit the contact form on this page.