Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident in the Bronx that wasn’t your fault, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover financial compensation for your injury and its ensuing expenses and damages.
A Bronx personal injury lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can investigate your case, gather evidence, and file a lawsuit on your behalf so that you can receive the compensation you deserve.
Speak with an Attorney Right Away
After being injured, you should speak with a Bronx personal injury lawyer from our office as soon as possible. In New York, you only have three years in which to file, after which you may lose your right to sue for compensation.
This statute of limitations exists to ensure that people do not have an indefinite period of time in which to file a lawsuit. However, it also means that you have to be diligent and act quickly to ensure that you do not exceed this critical deadline. If you do, the other party could ask a judge to throw out your case—and their request is likely to be granted.
Recovering Financial Damages for Personal Injuries
Your Bronx personal injury lawyer will value your claim by reviewing all of the expenses incurred by your injury and how your life has been impacted. Virtually any damages and financial losses you have suffered because of the accident could be eligible for compensation:
- Home Modifications – If you need to install a wheelchair ramp, retrofit a bathroom, or make other changes to accommodate your injury, you should be compensated for them.
- Rehabilitation Expenses – You are entitled to reach your maximum level of recovery, and you may require rehabilitation, physical therapy, or even massage in order to do so.
- Lost Wages and Income – If you have been unable to work in your previous capacity, you could be entitled to lost wages, even if only to compensate for the time you took off to receive medical care.
- Property Damage – Any of your property that was damaged in the accident should be repaired, replaced, or paid for.
- Medical Bills – While your current medical expenses should be included in your lawsuit, your future medical bills should be factored in, as well. We will work with your doctor to predict what your future medical expenses may be so that your financial award covers your future needs and not just your current expenditures.
Be certain to inform us of any expenses you have had or pain you have suffered as a result of your injury so that we can include everything possible in your injury claim.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries in the Bronx
Our Bronx personal injury lawyers have experience with many different types of personal injury cases. By far, car accidents are the most common causes that we see. In 2014 alone, there were more than 160,000 people injured in auto crashes in New York State. However, that is not the only way to suffer a personal injury:
- Defective products and drugs
- Slip-and-fall accidents due to a property or business being in disrepair
- Being struck by falling objects
- Electrocutions caused by poor wiring
- Fires and burns as a result of product or premises liability
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
For every one-hundred people, there are around forty-four visits to the emergency room every year, many of them due to an accident of some sort. When something causes you to be injured and someone else was to blame, you deserve to be compensated for what you’ve endured—and we can help you do precisely that.
Personal Injuries You Can Sue For
When you visit a Bronx personal injury lawyer from our firm, bring any medical documentation you have regarding your injury. We need to know about both minor and severe injuries, so don’t omit anything, even if you think it’s trivial.
Some of the more commonly seen types of personal injuries are listed below:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – More than 30 percent of injury-related deaths are due to some form of TBI. This type of injury requires immediate and often ongoing medical care.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – If you are suffering from PTSD as a result of your accident, you could also sue for compensation. An injury doesn’t need to have been physical to have caused you harm.
- Back and Spine Injuries – Ranging from whiplash to slipped discs to paralysis, back injuries can be incredibly painful and dramatically life changing.
- Broken Bones – Creating the need for rehabilitation and even surgery, broken bones can take a surprising amount of time to recover from.
When to Negotiate
Many of our clients prefer to negotiate out of court with the at-fault party or their insurance company prior to filing a lawsuit. Your Bronx personal injury lawyer will advise you as to whether filing a lawsuit first would be best for your case. Filing suit shows that you are serious about pursuing financial damages, which can convince the other side to come to the negotiating table more quickly.
Whether your case can be settled out of court or needs to go to trial, we’ll advise you throughout the process and represent your best interests all the way to the end.
Be Careful with Insurance Adjusters
It is within the best interests of the insurance company to pay you either as little as possible or nothing at all. To achieve this goal, they may try to take your statement early on and then use what you say against you, possibly even out of context.
Instead, refer them to your Bronx personal injury lawyer. We can handle all of the communications for you, thereby ensuring that they don’t get an unfair advantage on you.
Bronx Personal Injury FAQ
In this section, we’ll answer a few of the most frequent questions we hear. To receive further information, give us a call and speak with a Bronx personal injury lawyer.
What if my personal injury case can’t settle out of court?
If the at-fault party or their insurer refuse to negotiate or make a fair settlement offer, filing a lawsuit and going to trial for a court-rendered verdict may become necessary. Once you receive a judgment, the at-fault party will be legally required to pay you financial compensation.
What if my injury forces me to change careers?
Your settlement should include funds to cover any training or education expenses required for your career change. If you keep the same career but must work at a reduced capacity, you should be compensated for this lost income, as well.
What happens if my doctor or healthcare provider caused my injury?
You may have grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit. In these cases it will necessary to prove that you would not have been hurt had your doctor acted differently or diagnosed you correctly.
Get Help from a Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer
If you want to receive the most compensation possible for your injuries, you’ll need to work with an experienced Bronx personal injury lawyer. Unlike many other firms, you will not have a junior associate handling your case when you call Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. Instead, you will receive the benefits of working with an experienced law firm:
- Our experience in the legal system, both in court and negotiating out of it
- The connections and reputation we have with insurance lawyers
- Our ability to spot a fair settlement offer as compared to an inadequate one
- The investigative resources we can apply to your case
To schedule a free consultation with a capable personal injury attorney, call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or complete our online contact form below. Don’t be a victim twice—get Greenstein & Milbauer on your side today!