Don’t be a victim twiceChoose the right attorney!
$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
NEW YORK CITYPERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
In Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000 Satisfied Clients
In Recoveries Since 1995
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls Returned Every TIme
Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!
Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer
There are over 136 million emergency room visits each year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), many of them due to accidents that result in personal injuries for those involved.
If you were injured in such an accident and someone else was at fault for what happened, you can file a lawsuit against the negligent party. With the help of a Long Island personal injury lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, you can seek financial compensation for the damages and expenses you have experienced because of your accident.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries and the accidents that cause them can take an almost infinite number of forms. As Long Island personal injury lawyers, we have helped clients that have been hurt in all of the following situations, as well as many others:
- Car Accidents – With more than 299,000 car accidents in the state of New York each year, auto crashes are a leading cause of personal injuries and range from minor to deadly.
- Slip-and-Falls – These accidents are frequently the result of a property kept in disrepair, such as a railing being loose at an apartment complex.
- Dog Bites – If you were attacked by a dog, the owner could have liability for your injuries.
- Product Liability – Manufacturers are responsible for producing goods that are safe for consumers and for disclosing any potential hazards. If they fail to do either and you are injured as a result, you can sue for damages.
The specific cause of your accident is less important than who caused it. For you to receive compensation, we need to gather enough evidence to prove that you were harmed because of something someone else either did or failed to do.
Types of Personal Injuries
Both minor and severe injuries can be eligible for financial compensation with the help of a Long Island personal injury attorney from our office. Some of the types most frequently seen are as follows:
- Spinal Injuries – Back injuries can lead to a need for long-term care, whether they involve fractured vertebrae, herniated discs, or some form of paralysis.
- Head Injuries – There are more than 3 million reported traumatic brain injuries (TBI) on an annual basis, with the CDC estimating that 1.7 million people sustain this type of injury annually.
- Internal Injuries – These injuries often include internal bleeding and will more than likely require surgery.
- Broken Bones – Traumatic and painful, broken bones take time to recover from and may limit your ability to work.
- Burns – If you were burned in your accident, you could be hospitalized, be at risk for infections, or even need skin grafts. You should be entitled to money to pay for this care and the impact the injury has on your life.
- Birth Injuries – A birth injury could be experienced by either the mother or the infant as a result of a doctor’s error. Usually a form of medical malpractice, a Long Island personal injury lawyer from our firm can help you determine how to proceed.
If your injury is not on this list, call our office to discover what you may be entitled to.
Compensation for Long Island Personal Injury Claims
To have your claim properly valued, call our office and speak with a Long Island personal injury lawyer. We can discuss your case and determine how your injuries have impacted both your financial situation and your quality of life.
You could be entitled to compensation for more than just medical bills, so it is important to provide us with as much information as possible during your free consultation. All of the expenses and damages incurred by your injury should be compensated by the at-fault party:
- Medical bills (both current and future)
- Damage to personal property
- Lost wages and income
- Expenses associated with transportation
- Rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Home modifications made to accommodate your injury or resulting disability
We will maximize the compensation you receive by accounting for all of the expenses related to your accident, even if they are indirectly related, like hiring someone to mow your lawn because you are in too much pain to do so yourself.
Negotiating vs. Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Many of our clients ask if they have to go to court. Understandably so, as this is something that many people want to avoid. Just because you hire a Long Island personal injury lawyer, it does not necessarily follow that you will have to go to trial.
In fact, there is a good chance that once you hire a lawyer, the other party will be willing to negotiate in earnest so that they can save money by avoiding court fees and attorney costs.
However, if the other party is unwilling to make a fair settlement offer, the only way for you to pursue the financial compensation you deserve will be to proceed with a personal injury lawsuit.
New York Statute of Limitations
After you have been in an accident, it is important that you immediately consult a Long Island personal injury lawyer from our firm and begin the legal process.
Even if you are still recovering from your injuries, you need to file your lawsuit within three years of the injury date. Otherwise, you risk reaching the New York statute of limitations and losing your ability to seek compensation for your injuries. After three years have passed, the other party could ask for the case to be thrown out, a request the judge may grant.
Long Island Personal Injury FAQ
Uncertainty and questions often come hand-in-hand with an injury caused by an accident. Briefly answered below are a few of the most frequent we hear, but a Long Island personal injury lawyer from our firm will be able to provide you with more in-depth information.
Should I talk to the other party’s attorney or insurance company?
No. It is generally better to refer them to your own attorney instead. Anything you say could be used against you out of context later, so it’s best to allow your personal injury lawyer to handle all communication and negotiation.
Can I sue for additional compensation later if my first settlement isn’t big enough?
No. Once you either accept a settlement offer or receive a judgment in court, the matter is closed, legally speaking. This is why it’s important to ensure that your attorney is aware of every way that your injury has affected your life.
Can I sue for punitive damages in my personal injury lawsuit?
Punitive damages can be sought when the responsible party was either especially negligent or guilty of truly egregious misconduct. Your Long Island personal injury lawyer will help you determine if these damages are appropriate for your case.
Speak with a Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer
Make certain that you get properly compensated for your injury by hiring a Long Island personal injury lawyer to represent your best interests. You can schedule a free consultation to discuss your case by filling out the form below or reaching us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462).
When you call Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, you can rest assured that you are working with experienced attorneys and won’t have to fear being a victim twice. This is our promise to you, so call today.