Queens Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured in an accident and want to seek compensation from those responsible, your best course of action is to hire a Queens personal injury lawyer.
Experience matters, and at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, a partner manages every case to ensure that you receive the benefit of working with an attorney who understands the legal process and how to use personal injury law to your advantage.
Main Causes of Personal Injuries
Car accidents lead the number of reported injuries with over 160,000 New Yorkers injured in 2014 alone. Whether a fender bender or a multiple-car pileup, car wrecks can be devastating and lead to serious injuries and prolonged recovery times.
There are many other ways to be injured, however:
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents
- Being Struck by Falling Objects
- Animal Attacks and Dog Bites
- Defective Drugs and Other Products
- Building Fires
Regardless of how you were injured, if we can prove that your accident was the fault of someone else, a business, or a government entity, you may have a case for compensation.
Personal Injury Types in Queens
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are around forty-four emergency room visits for every one hundred persons each year. If you have been to the emergency room or received medical care for an injury that wasn’t your fault, you should hire a Queens personal injury attorney from our firm.
Some of the injury types we see on a regular basis include all of the following:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – These injuries account for 1.7 million injuries per year and 5 percent of all injury-related deaths. Head injuries can be the result of car accidents, slip-and-falls, and other premises liability cases.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – Emotional trauma is something you should watch for since it often goes undiagnosed but can negatively impact your quality of life.
- Broken Bones – Breaking a leg, arm, hand, or other bone can create the need for extensive rehabilitation and make it difficult to work.
- Burns – Often the result of a defective product catching on fire or exploding, burns can be devastating and create the need for significant medical care.
- Back and Spine Injuries – From slipped discs to whiplash, back injuries often require ongoing chiropractic care, massage, and physical therapy. In extreme cases, surgery may be required.
Even trivial or superficial injuries may entitle you to financial compensation. The best way to find out is to schedule a consultation with a Queens personal injury lawyer from our office.
Steps to Take After an Injury
After being injured, there are several steps you can take to make your case go more smoothly later:
- Seek immediate medical attention and a full diagnostic evaluation
- Take pictures of the area and your injuries
- File an accident report with the police or an incident report with the business or agency where you were hurt
- Document the contact information of any witnesses or anyone else involved
- Call our office to speak with a Queens personal injury attorney as soon as possible
By following these steps, you will be assisting in gathering the information necessary to build a strong case for what happened and why you deserve to be compensated.
Be Careful with Insurance Companies
The party responsible for your injuries will most likely be insured. The insurance company will have an experienced legal team with substantial resources at their disposal on retainer. Their job will be to demonstrate that you were to blame for your injuries and should not receive financial compensation as a result.
It is common for insurers and opposing attorneys to call injury victims in order to get a statement of some sort. Accident victims often make the mistake of cooperating, only to discover later that what was said can be used against them later.
To protect yourself, it is better to allow your Queens personal injury lawyer to handle all communications and negotiations with the other side. We can serve as a buffer between you and them, thereby ensuring that they don’t get an unfair advantage over you.
Getting Compensation for Personal Injuries
It is important to have all of your medical bills covered. If you are currently undergoing treatment, your medical bills should be paid for either by the insurance company or through your settlement—including the bills you’re likely to have in the future. However, this is not enough.
Your Queens personal injury lawyer will make certain that you receive money to recover any expenses you have that are associated with your accident-related injuries and any costs you are likely to incur in the future. This may include all of the following:
- Cost of hiring a caregiver
- Transportation expenses
- Rehabilitation costs and physical therapy
- Employment retraining or schooling if you need a different job
- Modifications to your home or vehicle to accommodate the injury
- Wages you have lost due to being unable to work
- Long-term medical expenses
- Money to replace or repair damaged property
Your Queens personal injury lawyer will need to know about all of the ways that you have suffered financially, emotionally, and physically so that we can help you recover the maximum financial damages possible.
You May Not Need to Go to Court
When you work with a Queens personal injury lawyer from our firm, you have years of experience and knowledge on your side. We can correctly value your claim and advise you of whether any out-of-court settlement offers you receive are fair.
If the other side is unwilling to negotiate in good faith, we can proceed with a personal injury lawsuit for a court-rendered verdict.
File Within the New York Statute of Limitations
The deadline to file a lawsuit after a personal injury in New York is three years. That may seem like a long time, but when you are busy recovering from your injuries and dealing with insurance companies, it can go by quickly.
This is why you should retain a Queens personal injury lawyer and file a lawsuit immediately. Even if you are not fully recovered, we can file suit on your behalf, ensuring that you do not miss your window of opportunity for restitution.
Queens Personal Injury FAQ
Many people have similar questions to one another after being hurt in an accident. Answered below are some of the questions we receive most frequently. If your question isn’t listed, please contact us in order to speak with a Queens personal injury lawyer.
What can I do if my family member is being abused by a nursing home?
Nursing home neglect and abuse are both grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. You may be able to seek financial compensation for any injuries and damages suffered by your loved one.
Can I file a personal injury lawsuit for property damage if I wasn’t hurt?
Yes. Personal injury does include your property and belongings. Even if you weren’t hurt, you can still file a lawsuit seeking compensation for any property damage you have suffered.
What if I don’t know who caused my injury?
Your accident type and the events leading up to your injury likely contain evidence indicating who was at fault for what happened. Your Queens personal injury lawyer will conduct an investigation to determine who was negligent so that you will know who to name in your lawsuit.
Work with a Queens Personal Injury Attorney
If you are looking for a Queens personal injury lawyer, look no further than Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. Most personal injury law firms have a junior associate working on the case behind the scenes. You don’t get that with us. A partner will manage your case and be involved from start to finish.
Get started and get the help you need by filling out the contact form on this page or by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462). Contact us today, and don’t be a victim twice!