Don’t be a victim twiceChoose the right attorney!
$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
NEW YORK CITYPERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
In Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000 Satisfied Clients
In Recoveries Since 1995
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls Returned Every TIme
Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!
Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident doesn’t have to be the end of the road for your financial stability. Let a Brooklyn car crash lawyer help you recover compensation for all you’ve suffered after your wreck.
Car accidents in Brooklyn can cause serious injury to anyone involved. If you were in a crash that wasn’t entirely your fault, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties to recover fair and complete compensation.
A Brooklyn car accident lawyer can represent your interests in settlement negotiations and in court, but choosing the right one is an important factor in the ultimate outcome of your claim.
A lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will treat you with respect while explaining everything you must accomplish to win significant compensation. Our team will become yours, and with our qualified attorneys and staff, we’ll push your claim toward success.
Cause Leads to Fault
First, we have to find the cause or causes of your Brooklyn car accident because that information will often lead us to the at-fault parties. Without a cause or someone to hold the blame, we have no case to file at all.
Nearly anything can result in a car crash, but several factors are common culprits, and many accidents involve more than one factor. We’ll investigate the scene of the accident, the vehicles involved, the drivers, and the upkeep of the area, and we will thoroughly interview witnesses and experts.
When it comes to the causes of car accidents in Brooklyn, the usual suspects include the following:
- Drunk, drugged, drowsy, and distracted drivers
- Mechanical and part failure
- Installation and inspection errors
- Road hazards that should have been managed
- Roadside construction zone mishaps
Brooklyn Auto Wreck Injuries
Your injuries will depend largely on the types of vehicles involved, the speed at which they were traveling, and the quality of safety equipment like seat belts and airbags. Injuries can range from whiplash to severe brain damage, but no matter the severity, you’ll likely need some medical care, which is always expensive.
We’ll communicate with your doctors to determine which of these injuries may be relevant in your particular situation:
- Head and facial harm may lead to hearing loss, vision impairment, traumatic brain injury (TBI), and disfigurement that requires reconstructive surgeries.
- Neck, back, and spine damages could end in permanent back pain, whiplash, spinal cord injuries that lead to paralysis, and nerve damage resulting in chronic, pain, numbness, tingling, and diminished mobility.
- Organ damage can cause potentially deadly internal bleeding and necessitate expensive and sometimes lengthy waits for transplants.
- Broken bones at their worst can require amputations and cause mobility limitations like a permanent limp.
- Severe burns across a wide area of your body from fire or due to leaked chemicals can be excruciating and long-lasting, sometimes causing severe disfigurement, which necessitates skin grafts and other reconstructive surgeries.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can affect anyone at any age and involves several social and mental conditions.
Fair Compensation for Your Car Crash
We’ll know how much your medical bills are up to the current moment, but projecting your financial losses into the future is a complicated task. This is true of non-economic damages, as well, but they all need a specific value attributed to them, despite the fact that certain conditions like never walking again can never be truly accounted for.
With the help of your doctors, therapists, and other medical experts, your Brooklyn car wreck lawyer will make these calculations for you to assign the correct and maximum value to every hardship you have suffered and will suffer.
We’ll claim any relevant damages, including any of the following:
- Immediate and long-term medical costs
- Current and future income loss and reductions in wage-earning capacity
- Any disability accommodations to your home, workplace, and car
- Pain and suffering for the experience of the accident, your treatment, and the recovery process
- Distress tied to detrimental changes to your emotional and mental wellbeing
- Loss of care, companionship, and consortium
- Property damage to your vehicle and the items inside
- Punitive damages to punish the severe negligence of the other party
- Wrongful death
Insurance and No-Fault Rules
Dealing with anyone’s insurance—even your own insurer—is difficult. New York is a no-fault insurance state, which means your first action must be against your own insurer, no matter who is at fault for the accident. If you want to file a personal injury claim,you must have suffered a “serious injury,” which has a legal definition.
New York’s definition includes the following conditions:
- A fracture
- A disability lasting at least ninety days within the first 180 days after the injury
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of the use of a body organ, member, function, or system
- Permanent consequential limitation of the use of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of the use of a body function or system
It’s important to understand that no-fault insurance claims are capped by both the state and individual policies. These caps often leave the victims of serious Brooklyn crashes paying out of pocket for their damages. Luckily, a successful personal injury claim can help you recover full compensation for all you have suffered.
Understanding Comparative Negligence
No matter whose insurance company you’re dealing with, you need to understand that you do not matter to them. Your injuries, your family’s needs, and your life aren’t part of their equation. The bottom line and the profit loss you represent are the only ways they see you and your Brooklyn car accident claim.
To protect their profit margins, insurance companies may try to shift some or all of the blame over to you in an attempt to reduce their obligation to compensate you. They do this because it can help them take advantage of the provisions of a rule called comparative negligence.
New York’s pure comparative negligence law is taken advantage of constantly, even though it is meant to make personal injury judgments fair. Comparative negligence lets you file a claim for compensation even if you’re partially at fault.
The downside is that your compensation is reduced by the amount of blame you’re found to hold. For example, if you’re awarded $1 million, but you’re found to be 20 percent at fault for your Brooklyn car accident, then you will receive only $800,000.
The “pure” part of this law means that you can recover compensation even if you hold the majority of the blame. While some states bar compensation for claimants who hold more than half of the blame for their injuries, you can still recover compensation in New York as long as someone else holds at least some blame.
Work with a Brooklyn Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents in New York have a three-year statute of limitations, which means you have to file your claim within three years of your Brooklyn car crash. This may seem like a long time, but these cases can require lots of investigation and research, and they may take a long time to push through the system.
You likely need a Brooklyn car accident lawyer to get started on your case quickly, and Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP have the experience and resources necessary to win fast and get the financial justice you deserve. Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the form below to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation today.